In a letter to the Ministry of Environment and Planning, dated June 25, we expressed our concern about the decrease in the flow of the “Manantial” de Los Molinos del Rio Aguas.
The exploitation of the aquifer, and the consequent decline in hydraulic pressure, has caused a cone of of depression to appear within the aquifer. Even if the exploitations were to be stopped now, it would take decades for the spring to recover.
- The most recent data at the disposal of the Ministry concerning the network of control over the aquifer.
- The amount of land that has been authorized for transformation into irrigated land on this aquifer since the year 2000.
- The information relative to the management and state of the elements of the of the mass of water of the aquifero in the sector of the Alto Aquas (Sorbas, Tabernas), and the actions that have been taken in relation to these elements, (bore holes and springs) and the quality and quantity treatment of these waters.
- Make an urgent Hydrological study to allow us to know the actual state of the aquifer and it's relation to the Paraque Natural del Karst de Sorbas, the spring of Los Molinos, the supply to distinct areas of population and the quality, (especially in relation to natural radioactivity), of these waters
- Stop any new irrigation schemes until the aquifer has returned to a good condition and do not use alternative sources
- Immediately initiate control on withdrawals from existing wells, both in volume and depth and water quality, especially with regard to the possible radioactivity thereof.
- Immediately close any detected irregularities in concessions, (perforations or concessions which are not authorized. )
- Promote alternative projects, urban and agricultural, that will permit the recovery of the aquifer and the return to environmental balance
- The Water Framework Directive indicates that the costs of water use should be assumed by the users, and in this case through the regional administration responsible for the management of water, development, the use and management of it, will negate budgetary problems.